Thursday, October 23, 2008

What to do?

It's cold and rainy outside, I'm listening to Coldplay and drinking tea. A perfect evening. Or, it would be, if I could figure out what to write about for my column due to the newspaper by tomorrow at five. I feel so grown up when I have to meet a deadline like this. I also feel scared when I put a piece of writing out there. It's like wearing that new dress that you're not sure about. What will people say about me? Do they like this? Do they think I'm weird? I know you can't please everyone, and I know that not everyone is going to like my article or even read it, but it's still a part of me.

Kind of like this.

This has become sort of a confession booth for me. I can just talk about what's going on in my head and ramble on and no one really reads it, but it's out there and I like that. I express my thoughts and it's fun and fulfilling.

Here's a thought. I work in the writing center at my school, and the other day a girl came in with a paper about slavery. Defending it , actually. She was trying to be all controversial, I could tell. She wasn't agreeing that it was right, but she was trying to defend her view that we (American people) have made it worse than it was. And I wasn't tutoring her, but I was listening. In disbelief.
I have been reading a lot of slave narratives lately in one of my classes, and I can tell you that it was horribly worse than we can ever imagine, not the other way around. And we forget about it, and we forget that slavery still exists. I know, I haven't done anything about it. But, as I was reading Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience" for class tomorrow, I realized that I need to do something about it. Why talk? We can talk about what's going on until our faces turn blue and our mouth dries out, but if we refuse to act what do we accomplish?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen. do what i say, okay? put your blog link in your status on facebook and you'll have a ton of people reading it and you'll never know... unless they tell you. so many people are like, "i read your blog the other day.." and i'm like, "what the... who are you?!" not really. but the status thing works well. every once in a while when my blog gets lonely, i say something about blogging in my status and i get a bunch of hits. and then people besides me will read your blog and be amazed.

on top of that, the only reason i painted my nails green is because rachel told me you did. and i thought it was a great idea. it's not quite as dark as i'd like, but it's green. i'm so excited to see you!