Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thanks giving

What a surprisingly wonderful Wednesday I had. It started off as not so great, with me sleeping through my alarm, thus missing my observation at the high school and running late to my appointment with one of my professors. I felt exhausted through most of the day, like I hadn't slept all week or something. Then I had American Literature. And we are reading about Emily Dickinson and her Civil War poems and it was fascinating. And for the first time in a long time, I can't get enough of one of my classes. But that wasn't why my day was great.
I had a talk with a friend, and she confided in me some things that she had been wanting to for a long time. It was nice to be trusted and at the same time be a comforter. Now I have the challenge of helping her through this, and it is something I am so grateful for.
I also had passion tonight, and only me and one other girl showed up. This was a blessing in disguise, for it made the meeting so intimate and beneficial. Not that it wouldn't have been if there were more people, but it really was so great. We talked about giving thanks and things we are thankful for and we wrote thank you cards to people we normally wouldn't have thought to write them to. It was amazing, because when you are giving thanks to God you realize just how much you have and how blessed you are, and suddenly that paper or one bad grade seems so insignificant to everything good in your life. Suddenly my life takes on meaning that I had lost sight of in the midst of the stress and the muck of the final weeks of school. God is with me, God has blessed me beyond measure, and I am so grateful.
I am thankful for my friends. We have grown closer this semester as we all have faced challenges and worked through them. We have been irritated, frustrated, stressed, angry, sometimes confused. And we are still there for one another. We have reached that place where we are comfortable enough to have a fight with one another. And that experience brought us closer. I am thankful for this school. I cannot say how challenging this semester has been. I have never had harder school work than now. Yet I'm thinking and learning and growing, and that is exciting. I am thankful for my family. I am thankful that I have sisters and wonderful parents. I am so appreciative of the way they raised me, the lessons they taught me. I am so unbelievably thankful.

If this post sounds over-optimistic, it is. Because it would suck to look back on my life and see that I missed all the wonderful things that were right in front of me, things that were a part of me all along.

No comments: